Aviationfly receives a lot of inquiries as to how to become a Pilot with Frontier Airlines. Basically, the question lies on how Frontier Airlines hires a Pilot. To assist those who aspire to work with Frontier Airlines, we have gathered the following information to give you an overview. This guide contains information you would need as you prepare on becoming a Pilot with Frontier Airlines.
Frontier Airlines operates over 100 A320 family aircraft, and has the largest A320neo fleet in the Americas. Its huge A320 fleet includes A319ceo, A320neo, A320ceo, A321ceo, and A321neo. The growing airline is expanding with over 200 aircraft on order.
Number of Pilots at Frontier Airlines: There are over 1600 pilots at Frontier Airlines.
The information provided below is based on the official website of Frontier Airlines and other credible resources. We have provided you with the information as accurately as possible. However, we highly encourage you to always check the Frontier Airlines website directly to keep updated on their hiring statutes, opening of cadet pilot programs, and additional requirements, if any, so you stay in the loop.
There are two ways to become a Frontier Airlines Pilot; one is a direct application to Frontier Airlines (this is mostly done by experienced pilots) and another is through the Frontier Direct Program.
Apply as a licensed pilot directly to Frontier Airlines
- 1500 hours total time (2500 preferred)
- 750 hours multi-engine fixed wing
- 500 hours pilot in command (PIC)
- 500 hours jet/turbo-prop
Note that Frontier considers only hours in fixed wing/rotary aircraft as flight time towards minimum qualifications. Hours logged in flight simulators, or as flight engineer, bombardier, navigator, WSO, EWO, RIO, NFO, UAV, or Special Crew will not be considered as flight time for these purposes.
- Current FAA Class 1 Medical Certificate
- Vision corrected to 20/20
- ATP Certificate
- FCC Restricted Radio Operator’s Permit
- Valid Passport, with machine-readable print, and the ability to travel in and out of the United States
- Authorization to work in the United States
- Ability to travel in and out of the U.S. to all cities/countries served by Frontier Airlines, Inc.
- Ability to relocate or commute
- Ability and willingness to work weekends, nights, holidays and overnight trips
- Ability and desire to maintain a well-groomed and professional appearance
- Ability to pass pre-employment drug testing and background checks
- Experience with sophisticated aircraft equipment including Electronic Flight Instrument Systems (EFIS) and Flight Management Systems (FMS) preferred
Data were obtained from the official Frontier Airlines Pilot Careers page. You may always check this page to stay updated with Frontier Airlines’ latest hiring status.
Join Frontier Airlines Pilot Pathway
Frontier Airlines formed the Frontier Direct Program with ATP Flight School. Through this program, ATP graduates and instructors, after enhanced ATP CTP training that includes additional Airbus A320 full-motion flight simulator experience, progress from ATP straight to the flight deck at Frontier.
Overview of the Frontier Direct Program:
- After completing flight training in ATP’s Airline Career Pilot Program, graduates gain flight experience with ATP as paid flight instructors.
- Between 1250-1500 hours total flight time, recommended instructors interview with Frontier Airlines
- After the candidate selection and interview process with Frontier, applicants receive a Conditional Offer of Employment and continue working towards 1,500 hours of flight experience with ATP
- Once ready to transition to Frontier, pilots attend the enhanced ATP CTP course which utilizes full-motion Airbus A320 simulator training to prepare pilots for success at Frontier.
Data were obtained here.
Frontier Airlines Pilot Salary
Frontier Airlines Pilots earn between $57,654 – $322,670 per year. Average salary being $109,739 per year.
The Annual salary figure varies in the above range starting from a new first officer to a senior captain. Information was sourced from Glassdoor.
The information provided above is based on the official website of Frontier Airlines and other credible resources. We have provided you with the information as accurately as possible. However, we highly encourage you to always check the Frontier Airlines website directly to keep updated on their hiring statutes, opening of cadet pilot programs, and additional requirements, if any, so you stay in the loop.
Last Update: July 2021
How to become a Pilot in the USA
Check out how to become a Pilot in the USA to know more about the minimum requirements, pilot training options, and airline programs.